Thursday, August 29, 2013

A Widow's Gift

Widow's gift banner
Hello SOVCO Sponsors!
I am doing children's story at our church again this Sunday. I just looked to see what the pastor's text is, and it turns out it's I Kings 17:8-16, the passage that tells about a poor widow giving her last bit of food for the prophet Elijah, with the result that from that point on, her food never ran out. This made me think of Joska, and the goat she raised and donated to SOVCO last week so that the children and their guardians and all the SOVCO community could have a fine meal on the day before school started for the new term. Joska is a widow. I've probably told you about her before; she's one of my favorite people in Uganda. She's raising six children alone, and is deeply committed to the work that SOVCO is doing in her community.
The pictures Tonny sent really tell the story of the goat party last Saturday "but one" (as they say in Uganda):
holding hands cropped, smaller
First, there were games for the children. From left to right: I'm not sure, Agenorwot Paska, Adong Patricia, Lakaraber Winnifred (Joska's daughter), Apiyo Scovia, not sure, Adoch Janet Sylvia, and I don't know the last two girls. Maybe you do!
kids get mosquito nets 2013 smaller
Next, kids who didn't get mosquito nets last year because they weren't yet in the program, got them this year. The kids I think I recognize in this picture are Steven, Juma, Nancy, ?, Godfrey, Lakica Mercy, Jacob, Patricia (Rachel's), Christopher, Louis, Gloria, Janet, Flavia, Caroline, Joseph Sunday, Paska (Amy's), Levi, Alex, Angom Mercy. Tonny, correct me if I'm wrong.
Godfrey reads my letter
Then, Tonny asked who wanted to read a message I had written to them, and Godfrey's hand shot up! He's been studying English in Kirombe Primary School. Tonny says when he asked, "can anyone read Mum's letter for us all?"..." he came very fast and very confidently and read it clearly for us all and every one clapped his/her hand for our boy Toolit Godfrey."
I can't remember what all I said in that letter, but it was something like, study hard and make your sponsors proud.
Fiona getting food small
Then it was time to eat, and everybody had to wait in line while Auntie Kevin (with her back to us) and Tonny's wife Beatrice (in a blue skirt) and others served the meal of goat meat, rice and beans. The girl kneeling and getting beans is Fiona.
Kids eating goat smaller
Everybody had a great time, as you can see! Ivan seems to be entertaining the other boys, and Aaron is really enjoying the story, along with Hamis (in red) and Patrick (Loren's).
joska eating goat smaller
And here is the mother of the feast, Joska herself (in blue), enjoying the meal with her friends. Let us pray that, like the widow in the story, she never goes hungry again!
This week has been a busy one for the SOVCO staff, as children start the new term, and the staff goes from school to school paying fees.Thanks to you, they are able to do that!
God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment