Friday, April 13, 2012

Dusty Shoes, Orphans, and Vulnerable Children


                                                                       Originally Written Jan. 27, 2012      

 I have never been to Africa.  Last summer after my son Joey came back from a summer in Uganda, one morning I picked up his shoes, which were covered with red dust. I stared at them for awhile, trying to imagine the places they had been. Then I pitched those shoes in the trash can.

A few months later, a letter came. It was from Mr. Opiyo, a man Joey had met in Uganda, who has started a small organization called SOVCO to help orphans and vulnerable children (OVC; it's a well-know acronym in a place where these children make up 45% of the population). He wanted our help in marketing handicrafts made by the women who care for the children. I was tempted to pitch that letter in the trash can, too.

I am so glad I didn't, because these past few months I have been blessed to do what I can to help my new "brother" Mr. Opiyo find ways to care for his orphans and the women who care for them.

To read the rest of the letter and see images, click on this link:

http://mim.io/3cb632?toolbar=promotions%2Ftoolbar_view

No comments:

Post a Comment